What do you do when life gets in the way of your dreams?
We’ve all been there- full of energy, excitement, and ideas after attending a class, workshop or conference. We stay up late that night filling up notebooks with all the ideas and plans we have developed as a result of such an experience. We wake up early the next day, still riding the wave of motivation. Then it happens………life. The life you had before attending the event shows up to pull you away from your dreams and back into the “too busy to dream” status you’ve lived in for years. How do you break the cycle and see true success in bringing your dreams to life?
- TAKE A BREAK– Literally, just for one hour- stop everything. Check-out totally. Remove yourself from all regular demanding environments (home, work, family, friends). Get to a place that is calm, quiet, and relaxing. You may even just drive to the end of your street and park the car as you have your personal DO NOT DISTURB time. This is a moment to press pause on all the demands of life and remind yourself of who you really are- HUMAN. Don’t take any calls, actually power off your phone (like really-TURN IT OFF). Powering off your phone is also symbolic for your mental powering down- just breathe. Don’t think about all the things you must do, should be doing, or forgot to do. Transition your mid from doing to being. Be still. Be quiet. Be relaxed. Be peaceful. Be calm. Be free. Do NOTHING.
- REMEMBER YOUR WHY AND FORGET YOUR WHAT– Think about your dream in full detail. Think about why you even started down this path from the beginning. Why this business? Why this location? Why this customer base? Why did you start this? Sit with the answers to these “WHY “questions. Release all thoughts of other responsibilities and commitments. Right now, just sit deeply with your dream. This is your moment, your time, your break form life. REMEMBER Why.
- REMIND YOURSELF OF WHO YOU ARE– If you have done my “I AM” exercise, this is the moment to pull out that list!! If you haven’t had the opportunity to complete this exercise, don’t worry, just begin to make positive statements about yourself. Say them aloud so that you can hear the words: “I am smart”, “I am strong”, “I am resourceful”. Keep going as long as you can. Bombard the atmosphere with a bold declaration of who you are. Even if you have to repeat one statement over and over again- keep going. Speak greatness into your life.
- REGROUP– Now that you have relaxed your mind and body; remembered why you began this journey to start your business; and reminded the world of who you are, let’s regroup:
- Delegate one thing today and one thing tomorrow. No matter how small the task. If it’s asking someone to drop off the kids, asking a co-worker to cover a project for the day, or even ordering pizza instead of cooking dinner- delegate one task today and one task tomorrow.
- Schedule a 90-minute POWER SESSION with just you and your dream. If this means getting up early or staying up late just to have this time- DO IT!! Give yourself the gift of time, focus, intention, and purpose. 90 minutes to work on your dream: updating your website, meeting with your business coach, writing a chapter in your book, or making client calls. Dedicate this time to your business.
- Reorganize your schedule, priorities, and commitments to include 2 things: ME TIME and DREAM TIME. Yes, it may mean taking other things off your schedule or moving things around to make this happen. Revisit delegating some task to make room for yourself and your dreams in YOUR life.
- Turn on your phone and realize that the world is still running. They lived without you for an hour!! It’s possible. Don’t give up on your dreams!